New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'm Giddy.

This is a photo of Barry Bonds just after hitting his 705th career homer. He's playing designated hitter right now in spring training and is supposed to make his first start in left field this Sunday against the A's. I feel like he's some kind of fine china dinnerware out there or something. I worry that he'll hurt his knee again and won't break the record. I'm such a dork, but I think the biggest thing I'm looking forward to this season is Barry Bonds. Other than that, I'm just hoping to see the Braves lose the NL East for the first time in 14 years and I hope the Phillies can get into the postseason on a wildcard or maybe even as division champs. But mainly, I just want to see Barry become the new home run king. That would make it a season to remember. I still remember watching Pete Rose get his 4,192nd career hit (Bonds doesn't even have 3,000 yet) to break the all-time hit record. They stopped the game and gave him a new, red Corvette. To me, it felt like he just got elected President or something. I love it that Pete Rose and Barry Bonds have their well-documented flaws. It shows us that messed up people, as all of us are, can do great things.

Trying means facing failure. Few would have blamed Bonds for hanging it up after last year. He's practicaly a cripple, he doesn't need the money, and he hates the media. Nonetheless, he is about to begin a long summer of standing in the hot sun chasing down fly balls, hoping his knee holds up long enough to get a few plate appearances each day and inch his way to his goal. It's like watching him run a 20-year marathon and rooting him on as he limps to the finish line. It's like pulling for Lance Armstrong to win his umpteenth Tour de France. How can you not? We all have our shortcomings. There is something redemptive in rooting for a guy like Bonds. If he can hit 755, then what kind of greatness can we achieve?

Wikipedia's rundown on Barry Bonds

No comments: