New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Are We Doing Enough?"

From That Sickness by Ryan Hannah

As I pass by the cemetery, I am disturbed by some bigger questions than just my own personal feelings. I wonder, “Are we doing enough?” Not just the “we” of my own organization, but “we” the global body of Christ. How will history judge our efforts to stop a preventable disease that is massacring this part of the world? Have we had enough compassion? Is it right, just or fair that some countries in the world are able to adequately contain and deal with the AIDS problem while it tears others apart? Does this bother the global Christian conscience?
LINK

I want to go to Africa.

What do you all make of the rich young ruler passage? How can that not apply to me, a member of what is arguably the wealthiest demographic in the history of the world? Maybe Dubai oil shieks have me beat, but few others.

21st Century American white boy = money, power, options, etc.

For the first time in my life I have a credit card debt. I've been lazy and haven't paid enough attention to my spending. I'm not worried. No, I'm still buying my $6 lunch of cheesesteak, cheese fries, and Coke from the corner store by my office. No need to brown bag it. I'm not poor and probably never will be. I don't really think it's possible.

I'm a grand prize winner in the lottery of history. Just think of the tens (perhaps hundreds) of billions of people who have lived without the power that I was born into. Jesus said it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Relative to my surroundings, I wouldn't necessarily say that I am rich. Average, I'd say. But I think about 80% of the world would look at me and say without hesitation I am rich. Undoubtedly, most of Africa would. So, what does all that mean...?

2 comments:

Erin said...

Thinking similar thoughts...
...oh, and lay off the lunch LOL! That sounds like a heart attack in a take-out bag.

Ryan K. said...

Yes, it is a heart attack, but it tastes sooooooo good...