New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

In Case You Missed It

My six-year-old nephew Noah is a genius and he loves the Bible, animals, and dinosaurs. Here he gets excited about one of his Christmas presents, "Old Testament Volume 2" which goes all the way up to Malachi. I'm twenty-nine and can barely read "Malachi." Over the holidays I asked him to spell "Pterodactyl" and he got it right. That's ridiculous. I do not even know how to spell that. I had to use spell check and I was wrong. Six years old. I don't think he's even in Kindergarten yet. I'm no expert in child development, but I'm pretty sure that this is rare. Watch out.

1 comment:

BlueNight said...

I learned to read at age 3. My reading level was consistently four years ahead of my class. I was fascinated by all things of science. Yet my social difficulties kept me from excelling.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, a high-functioning form of Autism. I was born without the ability to determine other people's intentions, motives, or moods through the usual channels of non-verbal communication: body language, tone of voice, facial expression, and eye-direction. I have since adapted, but not to the extent that most people reach by age ten. I am 28. This has hampered my personal and professional life.

The telltale sign of Asperger's is a near complete lack of eye-contact during conversations.

If he has this, find a qualified Asperger's diagnosing doctor or clinic. My diagnosis came from the local university hospital, at the age of 20. I was previously misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD and medicated with Ritalin.

If this scared you, google "Autism Rights", or look up "silentmaiow" on YouTube. You'll see people that, dispite much more severe disabiling forms of autism, are able to communicate with the world.

And make sure to read him the Narnia books. That was the main thing that kept me a Christian; otherwise, I would likely have become a humanist atheist.