New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Reading books in exotic places

I remember reading about Che Guevara while leaning my head against a log in a remote part of rural Guatemala, Fox's Book of Martyrs in a very uncomfortable bed in Amman, Jordan, Power Lines by Jimmy Carter's grandson (or nephew?) at a farm house in South Africa, Annie Dillard's Holy the Firm on the beach by Point Loma Nazarene University, Thoreau in a tent in the Green Mountains of Vermont, Watchman Nee's The Normal Christian Life in the back of a 1984 Celebrity station wagon on my way to Oakland with my new friend Matt Kiser, every book by Nick Hornby in just about every American airport, The Tipping Point in Katie's mom's guest room in Switzerland, Catcher in the Rye at a hippie commune in the Appalachians, The Kindness of Strangers: Penniless Across America while deadly ill in the Dominican Republic, The Power of the Powerless at a truck stop in West Virginia where my Volvo died, Mr. Blue by Myles Connelly at the Frankfurt airport (twice), Bruchko by one of the ponds at Eastern *College*, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

I'm getting itchy feet.

1 comment:

Erin said...

If Canada ever seems exotic, let me know... lol.