New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

King Kong

I went and saw King Kong with some friends on Monday. Overall, I give it a D. Some cool computer animation, but too long and too corny. One thing that I couldn't escape was the portrayal of "savage natives" on this mystery island. I thought it was a cheap shot that played to traditional racist fears of savage dark-skinned people. It just disturbed something deep inside of me and made me feel sad. I'm no expert on race and I'm not trying to be profound or anything, it just really bothered me and I'm wondering if someone out there knows what I'm talking about and can communicate it better.

One other thing, where is the Christian right on this movie? It seems like they spend a good amount of their energy combatting all manner of evil in the entertainment industry and yet they have been silent about this movie and its favorable portrayal of beastiality!! We can't allow this into our theaters and living rooms!

Okay, that's a bit of sarcasm. I got an email from my uncle because there is some new show on TV with a homosexaul main character. When did the church become the vangaurd of television purity? It seems to me that the main evil of TV is not the content, but simply the fact that it sucks you away from everything else that matters. I just don't think that television content should be such a central issue to American spirituality. "That whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have an eternal stream of 7th Heaven reruns and religious broadcasting." I don't think so. Here is the link to the petition to stop this TV show, "The Book of Daniel." I find it really funny that the only line they chose to highlight in bold print is one that tells you that a character on the show "regularly sees and talks with a very unconventional white-robed, bearded Jesus." Oh, my!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me how we shout and jump up and down when a world that doesn't know Jesus acts like, well, like a world that doesn't know Jesus.

This show could actually open all kinds of unexpected conversations, couldn't it?