New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year's Times Square

I will have to write more about this later, but it was awesome and I will probably do it again next year. I met amazing people from all over the world and spent a good 6 hours with them talking about everything. Over the course of the night and the various crowd shifts that happened, I probably came into close (literally I had to say "excuse me" if I wanted to raise my hands in the air to strectch my arms) contact with maybe 100 people and of those, only my two friends and a few people from Delaware were from the US. What's more, only two that I can think of were even living here as immigrants. Everyone else was just here to visit. Some of the countries represented, off the top of my head: Colombia, Jamaica, England (London and Liverpool), Estonia, Mexico, Germany, Austrailia, China, Hawaii (yes, I know it's part of the US, but have you ever been there?!), France, Switzerland, Armenia, Puerto Rico, and more that I can't remember at the moment. It was awesome to just hang out and talk about all kind of things like politics, religion, holiday traditions, culture, movies, food, music, weather, dreams, stereotypes, and all the standard personal info about jobs, children, etc. We stood there, 12 blocks away from the big ball (to us it was tiny) with no entertainment and no alcohol (we found a solution to that problem at about 9pm and started making runs for "community beer" which was then passed around to anyone and everyone and we all drank one sip at a time from large cans of Foster's). At first, I was really disappointed and not sure if I wanted to stay the whole time. But people started talking to each other and over time our whole area was functining as a big family. It's hard to explain if you weren't there, but it is one of those things that make New York City truly great and reaffirms my belief that we are all made in the image of God. These were all such beautiful people and it was a real treasure to spend that evening with them. I can't wait until next year.

No comments: