New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

"There is No Savior" - Isaiah 43:11

At first glance, I missed a couple of key words and I was like "WTF!". Upon further inspection I found "besides me" and then I calmed down. But it was interesting how visceral my objection to the notion of no savior was. That was kind of a cool realization. In the same way, it never ceases to amaze me how our society will tolerate talk of all kind of gods, but when the name of Jesus gets thrown into the mix, everyone gets uncomfortable. I bought this iTunes video of a Marilyn Manson remake of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" a while back and I have to admit that I love it. Mr.(?) Manson, Trent Reznor, Madonna and many others have built careers out of mingling the sacred and the profane and singing about Jesus in unorthodox ways. I wonder if the popularity of such expression is due to the fact that Christianity is the primary religion of the United States or because, like the old hymn says, "there's just something about that name."

Isaiah 43:11 (English Standard Version)

"I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior."

No comments: