New Blog Address

Ryan's blog can now be found HERE.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sometimes When I Drive Home

Sometimes when I drive home via Rte. 1 North and I pass under Broad Street through that massive underpass tunnel-like thing with the gold-domed Greek Orthodox Church on the left, I feel so modern and cosmopolitan. That whole section of highway kind of blows my mind. You're about 100 feet over the Schuylkill River and then about 30 feet below Broad Street. On either side of you are interesting buildings - the church, some place called Material Culture, a giant Septa depot, etc. Plus, you can look off to the right and see a great view of the Philly Skyline. You can go really fast right there too, which makes it even more exciting. Don't tell my mom, but I've gotten my motorcycle up over 100 mph on that little stretch. It feels a little like what I imagine those louge guys feel like in the Winter Olympics. Just speeding through a concrete chute. It's a fascinating monstrosity of highway engineering and design, if you don't mind me saying so.

No comments: